What is the Arkansas Grow Healthy Study?
- Understanding the local food environment
- Promotion of farm to school programs
- Marketing healthy foods to young children
- Development of parent-teacher partnered nutrition curriculum
- Training new educators in childhood obesity issues
October is National Farm to School Month
How to get involved and enter a contest for schools.
Ideas and resources
- Farm to School Legislative Survey Results
The State Farm to School Legislative Survey provides a summary of each farm to school related bill proposed since 2002, whether enacted, defeated or still pending. This report showcases many ways state legislatures are supporting farm to school across the country. The report is available at http://www.farmtoschool.org/resources-main/statelegisativesurvey
- Free Online Training Opportunities
- We are re-launching the Arkansas Farm to School Google Group! This will provide a way for anyone interested in, or working on farm to school in Arkansas to share resources, announcements, and needs with the farm to school community. Anyone can post to the group once you sign up. To sign up, e-mail Andrew Carberry at firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Google Group' in the subject.
- Danville Elementary School in Yell County, Morrilton Primary School in Conway County, and Head Start Centers in Morrilton, Danville, and Dardanelle have been selected as the locations for the 2014-2015 Arkansas Grow Healthy Study Pilot! All schools have expressed great interest and capacity for farm to school, and will receive training, equipment, and technical assistance from the study to implement a successful farm to school program. Components of the program include procurement of local produce, classroom nutrition education curriculum, and a social marketing campaign to promote farm to school.
- Sign up to receive The Arkansas Grow Healthy newsletter which contains information on farm to school programs from around the state, guidance on getting started, seasonal produce availability, policy information, and special event invitations.